Yesterday, Sir Simon Rattle introduced his final season as Music Director of the Berliner Philharmoniker after 16 years at the helm.
The 2017/18 season opens on 25 August 2017 with Sir Simon conducting a performance of Haydn’s The Creation, with other season highlights including Schumann’s Das Paradies und die Peri, Janáček’s The Cunning Little Vixen, with Hanno Müller-Brachmann and Lucy Crowe, and directed by Peter Sellars, and performances of Mahler’s Symphony No. 6 – the piece with which Simon made his BPhO debut in 1987.
A host of guest conductors and soloists will join the Berliner Philharmoniker across the year, including Joyce DiDonato, Vilde Frang, Bernard Haitink, Daniel Harding, Magdalena Kožená, Zubin Mehta, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Maria João Pires, Tugan Sokhiev and Andrew Staples.
Several concerts will be broadcast live on the Berliner Philharmoniker’s Digital Concert Hall (DCH), including the season opener on 25 August. View all upcoming broadcasts here.
As well as Berliner Philharmoniker performances at the Philharmonie, the season will include a series of chamber music concerts (featuring, among others, Kristian Bezuidenhout, Christiane Karg, Emmanuel Pahud, Sir András Schiff, and Carolin Widmann), education events, and an extensive tour to Asia.
View the full announcement and programme here.
Selected Berliner Philharmoniker performances
- 25 August 2017 – season opening night, Haydn The Creation – live on DCH
- 6 & 7 October – Sir Simon conduct Mozart, Walton and Kodály with Mitsuko Uchida and Amihai Grosz – live on DCH, 7 Oct
- 12, 13 & 14 October – Sir Simon conducts The Cunning Little Vixen – live on DCH, 14 Oct
- 19, 20, & 21 October – Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducts CPE Bach and Brahms – live on DCH, 21 Oct
- 3 November – Sir Simon conducts Stravinsky, Unsuk Chin and Rachmaninov – live on DCH
- 4 November – Sir Simon is joined by Lang Lang for Bartók’s Piano Concerto No. 2
- 2, 3 & 4 December – Bernard Haitink conducts Mahler Symphony No. 9 – live on DCH, 3 Dec
- 8, 9 & 10 December – Maria João Pires performs Mozart with Herbert Blomstedt – live on DCH, 9 Dec
- 20, 21 & 22 December – Vilde Frang joins Iván Fischer for Bartók – live on DCH, 22 Dec
- 29, 30 & 31 December – Joyce DiDonato joins Sir Simon for Strauss and Bernstein – live on DCH, 31 Dec
- 22, 23, & 24 February 2018 – Sir Simon and Daniel Barenboim – live on DCH, 24 Feb
- 1, 2 & 3 March – Daniel Harding conducts Schubert and Strauss – live on DCH, 3 Mar
- 6 & 8 April – Sir Simon conducts Wagner’s Parsifal – live on DCH, 8 Apr
- 19, 20 & 21 April – Andrew Staples and Lucy Crowe join Daniel Harding for Mozart – live on DCH, 21 Apr
- 10, 11 & 12 May – Tugan Sokhiev conducts Prokofiev, Beethoven and Mussorgsky – live on DCH, 12 May
- 17, 18 & 19 May – Sir Simon, Das Paradies und die Peri, with Andrew Staples in the role of Jüngling – live on DCH, 19 May
- 26 May – Sir Simon conducts Abrahamsen and Bruckner – live on DCH
- 27 May – Sir Simon conducts Widmann, Lutoslawski and Brahms – live on DCH
- 14, 15 & 16 June – Sir Simon conducts Bernstein, Bradley and Korngold, plus three new works commissioned by the Berliner Philharmoniker from Andrew Norman, Magnus Lindberg and Brett Dean
- 19 & 20 June – Sir Simon conducts Mahler Symphony No. 6 – live on DCH, 20 June
- 24 June – Sir Simon leads the Berliner Philharmoniker’s annual season-closing Waldbühnenkonzert in his farewell as Music Director, joined on stage by Magdalena Kožená for selections from Joseph Canteloube (de Malaret) Chants d’Auvergne – live on DCH